Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Lunch anyone?

Did anyone say Lunch? Having hunger pains? Well, just down the street from our house we saw this amazing bird. It wasn't visiting us for the best of reasons though...it was rather hungry! It's snacking on a kitty.
I believe it is a California Condor.

The California Condor, Gymnogyps californianus is a species of bird in one of the vulture families. It is the largest flying land bird in North America.
This condor nowadays only inhabits the western coastal mountains of the United States. Although it is primarily a scavenger, this species belongs to the New World vulture (Americas) family Cathartidae, related to storks and not closely related to Old World vultures (Europa, Asia, Africa), which are in the family Accipitridae along with hawks, eagles and kites.

California Condors can reach wingspans of 2.8 m (over 9 ft) and can weigh up to 11.4 kg (25 lb), making them one of the largest North American birds.
It was a high light to see it so close. They are not very attractive though.



5 comments:

rach said...

I totally saw that. I was taking Luca home and we stopped to see it. Didn't take pictures though. Love the background :) but even better is your blog title. How did you to the picture collage?

Nat said...

We had a ton of these at Camp Pndleton. Steve and I went on a walk and counted 25 in 2 trees. It was amazing!

Janice said...

Luca saw this too and was pretty fascinated. He talked about if for days. Of course, he also is all kinds of really freaked out when one of the cats gets out now. I think he's scared one of our cats will be eaten by a "vulture". By the way, I love the collage.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure thats a rare sight even in calif. so neat you guys caught that!

Anonymous said...

P.s. love your new background and owl button!